Originating in the 2nd century, the Catacombs of Rome are underground burial places that have been discovered only in recent decades. Carved into the bedrock deep beneath the amazing sites of Rome, the catacombs are one of the most fascinating sights to visit in Rome.
Around half a million Christians were buried in the Catacombs, among them many martyrs and even popes. Popularized by the movie Indiana Jones, the Catacombs of Rome are tinged with mystery. Today, through a Rome Catacombs tour, you can peek into the past and learn more about this place, where history was made, and legends were born.
How much do Catacombs of Rome tickets cost?
Catacombs of Rome tickets are available to tour the underground site.
General Admission Tickets: The standard admission price for entry to the Catacombs of Rome for adults.
Concession Tickets: Discounted general admission tickets for children (7-16), students, religious dignitaries, and school groups. Children aged six and under get in for free.
There are five catacombs in Rome open to the public, and each costs the same price.
Who are eligible for discounts?
The Catacombs of Rome offer concession ticket prices for a variety of people. First, children between the ages of 7-16 get in for a discounted rate. The same applies to school groups ranging from elementary to high school.
Additionally, students of archaeology, art history, architecture, and cultural studies (up to 25 years in age) receive concession ticket rates with valid proof. Priests, religious, seminarians, and novices also are given the concession rate with proof of eligibility.
How do you book Catacombs of Rome tickets in advance?
Catacombs of Rome tickets are available through the official website. We strongly suggest you to book your tickets in advance online, as the Rome catacombs are very popular and may be sold out especially during high season.
Online travel agencies also offer guided tours with extra options such as transportation, tour guide, special access to restricted areas, night tours and more.
Make sure that you take the time to compare the different offers available so you can pick the one that fit best your needs.
Are there any combined tickets including Catacombs of Rome tickets and other attractions?
Absolutely, there are a variety of ways to combine Catacombs of Rome tickets with other attractions in Rome. You may find below the most famous ones.
Don't miss the Baths of Caracalla.
- Baths of Caracalla: The Baths of Caracalla are very close to the Catacombs of Rome. It is a rare opportunity to see where ancient Romans cleaned and socialized.
Are there any Catacombs of Rome guided tours? Are they worth it?
Yes, absolutely. There are many benefits to book a guided tour to visit the Rome Catacombs, including:
- You learn more about the detailed history of the landmark.
- You get to ask as many questions as you would like to a knowledgeable guide.
- The guided tour may include other perks like the ability to skip the line.
- Guided tours are usually in smaller groups so it is a more personable experience.
- You may visit restricted areas not open to the public or visit during night time.
Is it possible to visit the Catacombs of Rome for free?
Yes, there are a number of different people that receive free admission to the Catacombs of Rome. The most obvious are children under the age of six. Additionally, disabled individuals and their personal assistant are permitted free entry.
The Catacombs of Rome also provide free entry to students of the Pontifical Institute of Christian Archaeology. Salesian brothers of don Bosco and sisters of Mary, Help of Christians also receive the same privileges. The same is true of professors, teachers, and catechists accompanying larger groups.
Large groups also receive two complimentary free admissions if the group has more than 35 persons. Finally, researchers and licensed tour guides with proof of eligibility may receive free admission to the underground catacombs.
What will I see?
The Catacombs of Rome feature approximately 60 different ancient tombs throughout Rome. However, only five of the catacombs are open to the public. The five different catacombs are San Sebastiano, Priscilla, San Callisto, Domitilla, and Sant Agnese.
All of the tombs opened to the public are located on Appian Way. The ancient highway is one of the most iconic sights in Rome. The Catacombs of San Sebastiano highlight your underground journey as they were the first to be discovered. Additionally, the Catacombs of San Callisto contain a resting place for approximately a half million Christians.
What is the best time to visit the Catacombs of Rome? How to avoid the crowd?
The Catacombs of Rome receive a large volume of visitors especially during peak season, and space is limited underground. It is why guided tours are offered in reasonably sized groups and are delayed by every 30 minutes. We suggest attending the Catacombs in the early morning or late afternoon.
Furthermore, the Catacombs of Rome are less crowded outside of peak season. We suggest attending the catacombs during the winter months between November and April. Also try to avoid weekends and keep in mind holiday closures.
What are the Catacombs of Rome opening hours?
The Catacombs of Rome are open Monday - Tuesday, and Thursday - Sunday, from 9 am to 12 pm. The doors close for a few hours before opening back up again from 4 pm to 7 pm. The Catacombs of Rome are closed to the public on Wednesdays.
The Catacombs of Rome are closed on Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Easter.
- Book in advance: Catacombs of Rome tickets are most convenient when you purchase them in advance. Tickets sell out fast during peak season. By purchasing in advance you can skip the lines at the box office and go directly inside the sacred underground chambers.
- Passageways are dark, damp, and confined. Please keep this in mind if you are claustrophobic or don’t like the dark. While there is assistance available for patrons, it may not be a comfortable experience for everyone.
- Note the final guided tour times of the day. The final guided tour in the morning begins at 12 pm. The final guided tour in the afternoon begins at 7 pm. Guided tours start every 30 minutes and take between 40 minutes to an hour.