Jump on a boat tour to discover the best places on the Amalfi Coast and around. Amalfi, the gem of the coast that takes its name, is the best location to stay for one or more days and enjoy the riviera's stunning panorama.
Seeing the sea from the coast is lovely, but enjoying the coast from the sea is stunning. Boat trips and sailing excursions from Amalfi are the best options to live an unforgettable day at sea.
What are the best places to visit with a boat trip from Amalfi?
Grottoes boat tour
The Amalfi Coast is well known for its landscape and its little seaside towns. However, there are also beautiful grottoes excavated on the rocky coastline.
The grottoes boat tours provide a unique experience to discover the gorgeous caves along the Amalfi Coast that are not so well known as Capri's grottoes.
The most famous grottoes that you will visit are:
- Grotta dello Smeraldo: The Emerald Grotto is the most famous in the area, very well known for the color of the water that turns green when seen from inside. There is a small entrance fee of €5, but there is a short tour included.
- Sant’Andrea Grotto: The name of this cave comes from Amalfi's patron St. Andrew. The cave is large enough to swim and walk inside.
- Grotta Africana: This grotto takes the name from the famous Africana nightclub located nearby. You can swim inside the cave and enjoy the gree and blue colors of the water.
- Marmorata: This is a nice spot on the Amalfi Coast: there is a little waterfall into the sea and you can swim below it.
Capri can be easily reached by Amalfi on a day trip. However, you will need to go to Piano di Sorrento by car/taxi and take the ferry from there. Skip the hassle of driving and relax on a day excursion that includes the transfers to the port and a boat tour of Capri island. The boat tour will include the famous Blue Grotto and you will have a few hours of free time to visit Capri by land.
Located at the west tip of the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento is a lovely seaside town. Most boat excursions heading to Capri will pass through Sorrento. You will get the chance to see the coastline near Sorrent and its grottos before reaching Capri.
Positano and the other towns on the Amalfi Coast
Together with Amalfi, Positano is the most well-known town of the Amalfi Coast. Positano is built in a narrow valley between the Mediterranean Sea and the hills behind the coast. Positano landscape is very famous worldwide: you have seen pictures of it for sure! The town can be appreciated much more from the sea and it is the perfect background for your picture from a boat.
Most boat tours pass in front on Positano or stop in the port. Other towns that you can see during your sailing excursion are Praiano, Ravello, Conca dei Marini
What kinds of boat tours are available in Amalfi?
There are several kinds of boat tours for all expectations.
Group boat tours
Boat trips in groups were very popular until 2019. In 2020, due to the safety regulations related to the COVID-19, private boat tours have become more popular. Nevertheless, group boat tours provide a cheap and fun way to discover the best sights of the Amalfi coast together with other people. These tours are definitely cheaper and they are often operated on larger boats, for up to 12 people.
Private boat tours
Choose a private boat tour to get the best experience. Private boat trips offer the possibility to customize your trip, adding stops where you prefer. You can add stops near the grottoes to swim and snorkel or spend the day more in the open sea to avoid the crowd. A skipper is always included in the tour.
The sunset is a fascinating moment on the Amalfi Coast. Since the direction of the coast is south, you cannot see the sunset on the sea from the coast. But you can enjoy it from a boat.
Sunset cruises are best suggested for couples who want to relax and enjoy their privacy. Most sunset cruises are private tours.
Discover the Amalfi Coast at your own pace renting a boat for your private use. Spend a day cruising along the coastline to find hidden beaches, famous caves, rugged rock formations and lovely seafront towns.
Enjoy a day at sea or stop in the towns of Positano, Capri or other points along the Amalfi Coast, sharing the boat with your friends or your partner. If you are not sure how to drive a boat, you can opt for private tours, which always include a captain.
How much do Amalfi boat trips cost?
Boat tours from Amalfi range widely in the price:
- Group boat tours cost from €80€ to €150 depending on whether they include Capri or just the Amalfi Coast.
- Private boat tours or private sunset cruises are far more expensive. Still, the exact price for each participant depends on the number of people in your group. The price is fixed per boat per trip. It ranges between €480 to just above €1,000 for the entire trip.
- Boat rentals can be cheaper than private tours, since there is no skipper/captain included and the fuel is not included either. Boat rental can cost between €200 and €1000 per group, depending on the boat's size and luxury.
Where do Amalfi boat trips leave from?
Most boat tours start from Amalfi or the other towns on the Amalfi coast. Since the towns can be easily reached by sea, many boat tours pick the guests up in the most convenient port.
If you are visiting other towns nearby, you might be interested in checking out the offers for boat tours leaving from there.
If you are visiting or staying in Naples, it is good to visit the Amalfi Coast by boat. Take a look at our page of Boat Tours from Naples. There are also boat tours from Salerno visiting the Amalfi Coast.
What is the duration of a boat trip from Amalfi?
Most boat tours last from Amalfi last 4 to 6 hours. Boat trips heading to Capri are longer because they include few hours spent on the island to let the guest discover it.
When is the best time for a boat tour from Amalfi?
Amalfi, like most of the south of Italy, enjoys a warm Mediterranean climate. The summer can be hot, but the town is on the seaside and it is never too hot. Being on a boat tour in the summertime is definitely the best experience.
In Spring and Autumn, temperatures can be pleasant and boat tours are feasible even if the water can be a bit cold.