Our website uses cookies.

Attractions

Alhambra

Located in Granada, Spain, the Alhambra is a spectacular fortress of Moorish and Christian styles built in AD889. This fortress hosted the royal Nasrid Dynasty until 1492. Alhambra, in Arabic means “the red”, probably derived from the reddish color of the Tapia of which the outer walls were made of. The French King, Charles V fell in love on this castle and built a palace in front of it to admire it's beauty. The Alhambra is a must see in Granada. It is important to mention that the entry tickets sell out very fast and, therefore, the Alhambra is sold out on most of the days of the year. It is recommendable to book in advance.
The Alhambra’s color contrasts beautifully with its surroundings. The appearance of the Alhambra varies with the time of day with the Palace looking very special after the sun sets. The Hill of La Sabica appears silver by starlight and golden in the sunshine. The Alhambra was originally built for defensive reasons but when the works finished it became more than that: a palace and a small city as well as performing the defensive function. It was first mentioned as the home of kings in the 13th Century by which time it was several centuries old; the fortress was built in the 9th Century. The Nasrites, whose dynasty was founded by Muhammed A-Ahmar were responsible for the fortress’ restoration. Muhammed and his son gradually repaired the fortress while the palace constructions began. Casa Real Vieja is from the 14th Century and attributed to Yusuf I and Muhammed V. The former created the Chamber of Comares and the Gate of Justice as well as some towers and the Baths with Muhammed, his son, continuing with the Chamber of Lions. Further fortifications and rooms were also added.

Cathedral of Granada

The Granada Cathedral of Incarnation is a Roman Catholic church built between 1526 and 1561. This Renaissance-style building is a jewel of architecture. The main chapel of the cathedral is hosting two sculpture of the Catholic king and the queen sculpted by Pedro de Mana y Medrano.