The Algarve is one of the most spectacular stretches of coastline in Portugal, and it looks even better up close from a kayak! The rugged shoreline is punctuated with secret coves and dramatic sea caves that are only accessible by water.
Suitable for both beginners and expert paddlers, kayak tours in Lagos are your passport to adventure and include beach hopping and snorkeling for added thrills.
What are the best kayak tours in Lagos?
Lagos kayak tours all last 2-3 hours and include a visit to the spectacular caves at Ponta da Piedade.
Coastal kayak excursions
The most popular kayak tours in Lagos are those that take in the dramatic caves at Ponta da Piedade. Get back to nature as you glide across transparent lagoons and paddle along rock tunnels into hidden grottos. Back in the bay, there are natural bridges to investigate, as well as all the swimming or snorkeling you can handle.
Visiting beaches is part of the adventure too, with golden sand beckoning intrepid explorers looking for a bit of a breather.
Private kayak tours
Charter your own boat for a couple of hours and explore the best of the Algarve coastline. Kayaks are transported on board the boat, so you can go paddling whenever you choose. Discover scenic bays, float through caves, and escape the crowds on this exclusive Lagos kayak tour.
Stand up paddleboards and snorkeling masks are also available, so you can splash around any way you want.
Want to explore at your own pace? Then hire a kayak on an hourly basis and enjoy an easy launch from Batata beach. You can still paddle along the coast, visit the caves, and land on golden beaches, just without having to join a tour.
This option is best for more experienced paddlers as you will not have a professional guide on hand to assist with instructions. The minimum participant age for kayak rental is 8 years old.
What are the best places to kayak in Lagos?
Ponta da Piedade
This imposing stretch of coast is the highlight of any Lagos kayak tour. Here you will discover dramatic rock formations that change color in the sun, including towering limestone sea stacks, ancient grottos, and fragile arches.
The inviting blue water is perfect for snorkeling and swimming after an epic jaunt paddling through the tunnels and caves in your kayak. There are plenty of secret beaches to discover too, tucked away in sheltered coves only accessible by boat.
Praia da Dona Ana
This is one of the prettiest beaches in the Algarve, with soft golden sands surrounded by majestic sea cliffs. The emerald ocean here is calm and perfect for taking a break during your kayaking tour, as well as enjoying a refreshing dip or a snorkeling session to meet the resident marine life.
This is where you will launch if you opt for renting kayaks independently. The beach is really close to the center of Lagos, which makes it easy to find. The sands are flanked by golden cliffs, and the bay is sheltered from the strong ocean winds so this is a great place to practice your paddling skills.
How much do kayak tours in Lagos cost?
Lagos kayak tours vary in price depending on the trip duration and type of excursion.
- Coastal exploration tours that take in the Ponta da Piedade caves and beaches cost from €31 per person for a 2-hour trip, to €36 for 3 hours out on the water.
- The private boat tour to Ponta da Piedade with kayaking and stand up paddle boarding costs €406 for a 2-hour excursion. Up to 12 passengers are included in the price.
- Kayak rental at Batata Beach ranges from €21 for 2 hours, to €26 for 3 hours. All safety gear is included.
What is the best season to kayak in Lagos?
Southern Portugal has a Mediterranean climate, which means summers stretch on endlessly and offer extended opportunities for kayak tours in Lagos.
The best time to visit is between May and September when the weather is warm and water temperatures are ideal for kayaking, snorkeling, and swimming.
Lagos kayak tours usually operate during both mornings and afternoons, so you can decide what time of day best suits your plans.
How long does a kayak tour last?
Guided kayak tours in Lagos generally last either 2 or 3 hours, which is plenty of time to see the highlights along this rugged coastline.
Kayak rental from Batata Beach is done by the hour, so you can stay out a little longer if you wish. Most visitors opt for 1- or 2-hour sessions, followed by chill-out time at the beach.
Do participants on kayak tours in Lagos have to be in good physical shape?
Kayaking can be a relaxing sport, and it does not require superior physical abilities or skills. However, a degree of fitness will be helpful as you will be paddling some distance along the coast.
Kayaking trips are not recommended for people with reduced mobility, those who suffer seasickness, or anyone who is pregnant.
What safety equipment is required to kayak in Lagos?
All paddlers will be provided with a life jacket by the operator for the duration of the trip. This will be included in the excursion price.
Kayaking is suitable for beginners, and instruction will be available for those who have not tried it before. All participants must be able to swim.
Some tours also offer waterproof pouches or bags for storing your valuables, which means you can take your camera along with you!
Can children join a kayak tour in Lagos?
Children are permitted on many of the Lagos kayak tours, as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Young children can sometimes ride on their parent’s lap - do ask about this when you book.
Some tours have a minimum participant age, so check restrictions with the provider before your visit.
What happens in case of bad weather?
All kayak tours in Lagos are subject to sea and weather conditions. If the tour is canceled due to bad weather, you will be offered the chance to rebook or receive a full refund.
Sometimes if the sea is rough you will spend more time exploring inland bays and sheltered coves instead of paddling along exposed stretches of coast.
Where do kayaking excursions in Lagos depart from?
All kayak excursions depart from the marina, which is easy to find in the center of the old town. Exact trip meeting points at Lagos Marina vary depending on the operator, so check your joining instructions carefully.
For kayak rentals, you will need to make your own way to Batata Beach. Situated on the edge of town at the mouth of the Bensafrim River, the beach can be accessed along the estuary promenade.
Which other water activities can be done in Lagos?
- Boat tours: explore pirate caves and secluded bays on a relaxing coastal cruise along the most beautiful stretch of the Algarve.
- Snorkeling: meet the local marine life and float lazily in the warm ocean while snorkeling from a beach or a boat.
- Surfing: enjoy a lesson on the beach with a local expert before paddling out to sea and returning to shore on the crest of a wave.
- Stand up paddle boarding: discover hidden gems like mysterious grottos and secret beaches as you propel yourself leisurely along the coast.
- Dolphin watching: head out to sea and keep your eyes peeled for these majestic marine mammals, while your local guide tells you about their life beneath the waves.
- Kitesurfing: take on the ocean and get your heart thumping as you skim along the water, mastering the wind and admiring the scenery.
- Pack your swimsuit, sunglasses, beach towel, and camera. Take plenty of sunscreen to protect your face and arms from sunburn.
- Make sure you arrive at the meeting point ahead of schedule so you can get kitted up.
- Book your Lagos kayak excursion online ahead of your visit so you can secure the best deal as well as your preferred date.