The coastline around Lagos is one of the most beautiful parts of southern Portugal, with rugged headlands and serene bays waiting to surprise around every corner. Spend a few hours on the ocean to discover the secrets of the Algarve.
There is a superb range of boat tours in Lagos to choose from during your vacation, with enough sea caves and beaches to keep even the most avid adventurer happy.
What are the most popular boat tours in Lagos?
Visiting the Algarve for the first time? Then take a coastal tour and discover the best coves and grottos in the south. For something different, there are sunset cruises and kayaking trips up for grabs.
The stars of the Lagos boat tour scene are the caves and landforms of Ponta da Piedade. Most excursions focus their activities here, with trips lasting between 1 and 4 hours.
Hop on board a catamaran, speedboat, or traditional sailing vessel and explore secluded bays for snorkeling and swimming. Relax on deck afterward and top up your tan.
Algarve sunsets rank among the best in the world, and there is nowhere better to see them than from the ocean. Cruise along the coast, checking out sea caves and watching the cliffs change color with the dying sun.
Some tours offer wine tasting to add to the romance. Tuck into local vintages, served with regional cheeses and delicious Portuguese tapas.
Jet boat rides
See the highlights in a short amount of time on a thrilling jet boat journey along the coast. Stop at caves, discover secluded beaches, and enjoy a dip in the ocean along the way.
Dolphin watching trips
These 2-hour speedboat cruises give you the best chance of seeing dolphins in the wild, with a local guide on hand to tell you all about these fascinating marine mammals.
Private yacht cruises
Charter a boat and explore the coast on your own terms. Help plan the itinerary and enjoy a day of water sports, spectacular views, and leisurely drinks on board.
Motor along the coast by boat to Ponta da Piedade before boarding your kayak for an epic caving adventure. Paddle through magical sea grottos and tunnels, then stop at the beach for swimming and snorkeling.
How much do boat tours in Lagos cost?
The price of Lagos boat tours depends on the length of cruise and type of vessel.
- There are several beach-hopping coastal excursions with cave visits to choose from. A short 1-hour 15-minute jaunt starts at €15 per person, rising to €32 for a 3-hour trip. Half-day tours range from €44 - €50 and last around 4 hours.
- A speedy 45-minute jet boat ride to Ponta da Piedade costs between €26 and €34 per passenger.
- 2-hour dolphin watching trips are €34 each.
- Sunset cruises are priced at €24 for 1 hour 15 minutes, or €61 for a 2-hour trip that includes wine tasting on board.
- For the 2-hour kayak explorer cruise a ticket will cost from €35 to €43 per paddler.
- Private yacht charters begin at €360 for 2 hours, €750 for 3 hours, or €1499 for a full day at sea with a maximum of 8 guests.
Which places are seen with a boat tour from Lagos?
Ponta da Piedade
This dramatic, windswept headland is a favorite stop on boat tours in Lagos. Boasting some of the finest natural rock formations along the Algarve coast, Ponta da Piedade is a haven of limestone sea stacks, secret grottos, and scenic arches.
The cliffs dazzle in gold beneath the gaze of the sun, while a caldron of turquoise water swirls around the buttresses below.
Sailors who head east along the south coast will be rewarded with a visit to the majestic sea cave at Benagil. It can only be accessed by water and was once an infamous pirate hideout back in the Middle Ages.
Inside this magical grotto is a secret beach, which is often bathed in light that streams down through a hole in the collapsed roof.
Sagres is a land of towering cliffs and wild bays stretching along the far southwestern tip of Portugal. Along the headland, you can spot the ancient Fortaleza Sagres Fort which was built to protect from pirate raids. Keep an eye out for the lighthouse at Cabo de São Vicente.
There are several world-class beaches here too, like Martinhal which offers sheltered swimming conditions and plenty of golden sand.
The flat water of Alvor Lagoon is a popular spot for kitesurfing, and views over the river, fishing village, and beach can be enjoyed on many Lagos boat excursions. Admire the contrasting colors between sea and sandbank, and watch the surfing antics from the comfort of your yacht.
How long does a boat trip last?
Lagos boat tours generally last between 1 – 4 hours, taking in the top beaches and caves along this beautiful section of the Algarve coast. Even on the shorter tours you will see lots because faster speed boats are used to transport you to the heart of the action.
Sunset cruises last between 1 hour 15 minutes and 2 hours, giving you plenty of time at sea to enjoy the romantic sight.
If you want a full day out on the water, charter a private yacht and put together your own special itinerary with expert help from the captain.
Where do boat tours leave from?
Only a handful of boat tours in Lagos offer hotel pick-ups, so for most trips you will need to make your own way to the departure point.
All boat excursions are based out of Lagos Marina, which is easy to find right in the heart of the old city.
When is the best time for a boat trip in Lagos?
Lagos boat tours run during both mornings and afternoons, with some lasting the full day.
Sunset cruises generally depart at 7 PM to make the most of the evening light, ensuring you are in prime position for the main event.
The best time of year to enjoy boat tours in Lagos is during the summer when the weather is warm and usually sunny. Water temperatures are pleasant between May and September, so this is the time to travel if swimming and snorkeling are high on your agenda.
Which other water activities can be done in Lagos?
- Kayaking: explore the scenic Algarve coastline and get up close with nature as you paddle stealthily through the blue ocean, checking out secret caves along the way.
- Dolphin watching: discover wild dolphins along the coast of Lagos.
- Snorkeling: strap on your mask and fins for an aquatic adventure swimming with marine life in one of Portugal’s most vibrant underwater realms.
- Surfing: hone your surfing skills with a lesson on the beach before taking to the water to ride those waves like a pro.
- Stand up paddling boarding: enjoy a leisurely paddle into mysterious grottos and land on hidden beaches during this peaceful coastal tour.
- Kite surfing: ramp the action up a notch with an action-packed session learning to tame the waves and experience Lagos in a new way.
- Windsurfing: master your balance and skim across the sea as you practice your moves during a fun windsurfing lesson.
- Secure your preferred date and time by booking your Lagos boat tour tickets online in advance – this will also ensure you get the best deal.
- Most trips ask you to arrive ahead of the departure time, so do check your embarkation details carefully.
- Pack swimming gear, sun protection, and a lightweight jacket in case it gets windy out on the ocean.
- Make sure your camera batteries are fully charged because you will be taking a lot of photos!